The Makita 5 in. SJS II High Power Angle Grinder (GA5042C) combines power, convenience, comfort and motor-protection features for longer-lasting industrial performance. It is ideal for cutting, grinding ferrous metal, paint and rust removal, shipyard maintenance, metal polishing, general steel grinding, auto repair work, cutting brick and masonry, restoration work and more. The GA5042C is equipped with SJS II, a mechanical gear drive system to help prevent motor and gear damage by dampening the force on the gear when the wheel is forced to stop. SJS II is also features a leaf spring and cam gear drive mechanism that is engineered to reduce vibration for increased operator comfort during extended use. The 12 Amp motor delivers 2,800-11,000 RPM for versatility and maximum productivity. Labyrinth construction protects the motor with a complex set of channels, prohibiting dust and contamination from entering the motor. Additional protection features include a Zig-zag epoxy applied to both sides of the armature coil and a powder-coating to the field. This forms a barrier under rotation and is engineered to protect from dust and debris penetration for longer tool life.
- SJS II provides a mechanical gear drive system to help prevent motor and gear damage by dampening the force on the gear when the wheel is forced to stop
- SJS II provides a leaf spring and cam gear drive mechanism that is engineered to reduce vibration for increased operator comfort during extended use
- Vibration absorbing side handle provides increased comfort on the job
- Electronic controller provides constant speed control which automatically applies additional power to the motor to maintain speed under load
- Electronic controller provides soft start which suppresses start-up reaction for smooth start-ups and longer gear life
- Electronic controller provides an electronic current limiter which helps protect the motor from overload
- Variable speed control dial enables user to match the speed to the application
- Labyrinth construction seals and protects the motor and bearings from dust and debris for longer tool life
- Zig-zag varnish protects the armature coil from dust and debris for longer tool life
- Spiral bevel gears for smoother rotations and a more efficient transfer of energy
- Tool-less wheel guard for easy adjustment
- Slide switch with lock-on for continuous use
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including arsenic, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
My 30-year-old 4.5” Makita died in the middle of a project. I purchased a Bosch which seemed to be the best my local HD was offering. Not good. I ordered this on line. It is great. Powerful, smooth, relatively quiet. Reliable. Ergonomic. Can’t say enough how much I like it.
This grinder is solid and high quality like other Makita tools we’ve purchased. It is a little on the heavy side because the motor is 12 amp. Considered buying a paddle switch model, but bought this one because of the variable speed. The speed feature is huge for me and something I don’t want to do without after having had it with other tools. As a service plumber, I use this to cut soft metal like brass and don’t want to be under a sink with a grinder going over 10k rpm. If you’re grinding heavy steel everyday, perhaps you could care less and will have it on full speed all the time, but I really like the variable speed. Not the cheapest grinder, but I gave up on cheap tools years ago; you should to!
I bought this grinder because of the variable speed adjustment and I’m glad I did. Different grinding and polishing wheels have ideal RPM levels or limits and cheaper grinders may exceed limits or dance across a work piece and damage it. I needed to grind porcelain tile and found the mid range setting on this powerful grinder to be much more predictable than any I had used before. It just does not bog down at all.The on-off switch easily locks on for extended grinding. I tried a diamond cupping wheel, polishing flap style disk and a 4.5″ diameter diamond cutting blade. The Makita played well with all of them. This is something you need in your toolbox.
Grinder is smooth with less vibration that other grinders I have used. It can cut 1/4” steel quickly as well as light sanding or blending. I purchased this grinder from HD because they offer an extended warranty. Past grinders only lasted 2 years tops.
Upgraded to this one to do grout removal and the extra amperage works great compared to the previous 4.5″ one I had before.