The Makita 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Quick-Shift Mode 3-Speed Impact Driver (model XDT14Z, tool only) is a best-in-class fastening solution for users who want more torque, longer run-time, and precision fastening features. The XDT14Z delivers all of the above in a compact size with a superior power-to-weight ratio. The XDT14Z combines a full 1,550 in. lbs. of fastening torque with category-leading precision features. Quick-Shift Mode is an automatic electronic controller that downshifts and reduces rotation and impact speed prior to driving the screw into place. It is engineered to minimize screw thread stripping, screw breakage and damage to work. For faster tightening of self-drilling screws, use the Tightening Mode (T-mode) and avoid damage to the screw or work piece. These precision settings, combined with 3-speed power settings, give users more control for a wide range of fastening tasks from cabinet screws and deck screws to lag bolts, and much more. It is only 4-5/8 in. long and ideal for work in tight spaces. Star Protection is communication technology that allows the Star Protection-equipped tool and battery to exchange data in real time and monitor conditions during use to protect against overloading, over-discharging and overheating. For increased versatility, the tool can also be powered by Makita 18-Volt LXT and Compact Lithium-Ion batteries with the star symbol on the battery indicating Star Protection inside.
- Quick-shift mode selector has an automatic electronic controller that downshifts and reduces rotation and impact speed prior to driving screw into place, and is engineered to minimize screw thread stripping, screw breakage and damage to work
- Tightening mode (T-mode) for faster tightening of self-drilling screws; helps prevent damage to the screw or work piece
- 3-speed power selection switch (0-1,100 / 0-2,100 / 0-3,600 RPM and 0-1,100 / 0-2,600 / 0-3,800 IPM) provides precise fastening control for a wide range of applications
- BL brushless motor delivers 3,600 maximum RPM and 1,550 in. lbs. of maximum torque
- Efficient BL brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- BL brushless motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
- Features extreme protection technology (XPT) which is engineered to provide increased dust and water resistance in harsh job site conditions
- Electronically-controlled BL brushless motor efficiently uses energy to match torque and RPM to the changing demands of the application
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 4-5/8 in. long
- Weighs only 3.3 lbs. with battery (battery not included) for reduced operator fatigue
- All metal gear housing for increased job site durability
- Convenient 1-touch 1/4 in. hex chuck for quick bit changes
- Dual LED light with an independent on/off switch illuminate the work area
- Rubberized soft grip provides increased comfort on the job
- Makita’s proprietary hammer and anvil impact mechanism is manufactured using the best raw materials with the highest quality steel and unique heat hardening process for maximum fastening and driving power
- Equipped with star protection computer controls to protect against overloading, over-discharging and over-heating
- Makita technology delivers category-leading charge time so the battery spends more time working and less time sitting on the charger (battery not included)
- Compatible with Makita 18-Volt lithium-ion batteries with a star symbol (battery not included)
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including arsenic, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Wonderful tool. Lots of power to drive large screws.
It did the job well.
Great tool, right for the job I bought it for.
I have now had this 7″ grinder for approximately six months. In first looking at the description you may think this is just an 18 volt 7″ grinder, but read on, it’s two 18 volt batteries combined to equal 36 volts. Grab hold this tool is approx. 10 plus pounds including the two batteries and has a lot of torque. This is a high tech tool from the batteries, dual port (fan cooled) charger and the electronically-controlled brushless motor. It is also muti.- functional, it will except everything from a 1/16″ cut off wheel, 1/4″ grinding wheel, abrasive disk, wire wheel or wire cup brush or a diamond (wet/dry) cut off wheel. The kit comes with a thin cut off wheel and a grinding wheel. As a bonus, Makita (A big Thank You) sent a 7″ (wet/dry) segmented diamond cutting blade, which I have used most of all. In the last six months I have installed over 100- 16″ x 16″ x 2″ paver blocks and approx. 40- 20″ x 20″ x 2″ patio blocks. I can’t say how many lineal feet I have cut, but the blade seems to be cutting the same as the very first cut. The included carrying case is a welcome and needed feature too. While it holds the 10 plus components that come with the tool there is plenty of room for additional items or accessories. A little trick I have learned is to make copies of the owners manuals and put them in a sealed freezer bag in the case. If you are in the trades, at least get a copy of the owners manual and read thru it, you will see all the options, to many to list, this tool has. And then you will want one, but not mine.
This is my main tool at work. This is definitely an upgrade from the one that comes in the box set with the drill. It is quieter and seems to use less power. I would recommend it to any contractor.
Very happy with the performance of this impact driver. I would recommend it to anyone. Much better than the basic impact driver.
Very good impact, easy to operate and powerful!
Very durable and powerful!
It was a little larger and heavier than I expected
Love this little but powerful Makita impact driver. Been using it every day on the job for the past month. Drives in anything I ask it to with ease…ten inch lag bolts into pressure treated wood, no problem, and it could break loose stubborn nuts & bolts too. Fits into areas my other impact driver couldn’t. The 3 speed settings are great but to be honest I rarely use them because the variable speed trigger is so smooth. Battery life it great. I never had to swap out batteries on a 4AH, and I use this tool a lot… all day. It’s usually 2 or 3 days before the battery need to be recharged. Yesterday I accidentally dropped it onto some scaffolding about 12 feet down. No issues at all after the fall. Before I invested in the Makita platform I was debating between them and Milwaukee. Milwaukee makes some great tools but Makita is just as good, if not better in same cases. You won’t regret this purchase. All Makita cordless tools are super smooth and perform flawlessly.
Very happy with battery life
Great power, battery lasts, love the ergonomics and the brushless grinder.
Beware of the less expensive Makita combo kits! they have lower-end impact drivers and lower powered batteries than this kit. This kit has the good stuff. I bought this kit as a base to build my Makita 18V tool set from. I did extensive research on the Makita 18V impact drivers, and I found that the XDT14Z was the best balance of cost and performance for me. It’s about $50 cheaper than the top of the line XDT16Z, and it has almost the same power and features. The XDT14Z has only 50 in. lbs. less torque, is 1/16″ longer, has 3 speeds instead of 4, and is .05lb heavier than the top of the line XDT16Z. Those extra features weren’t worth $50 to me. The drill was less important to me, the included XPH12Z is a good compact size and power, I’ll use it primarily for pre-drilling holes for screws in wood and sheet metal. For any heavier drilling tasks I use a corded drill. The two port charger and high-powered 5.0ah batteries were important to me because I bought four additional Makita 18V tools and two additional batteries to build out my set. I liked being able to custom build my set because most of the large contractor sets sneak in a less expensive version of the impact driver to save on the cost of the set and they include tools that I don’t necessarily need in cordless. I wanted the good impact driver and I wanted to be able to pick the specific tools in my expanded set.
I have several Makita tools they are truly job site tough,i have battery’s over 5years old still working.the 5 ahm battery’s last longer before charging.great set I’m totally satisfied
Best impact drill I had bought in 10 years
Impact drill works great no problems with screwing 3 to 5 inch screws
Impact drill works great no problems with screwing 3 to 5 inch screws